Costa Rica will welcome tourists from the United States starting in September, Tourism Minister Gustavo Segura announced Wednesday.
U.S. tourists will only be welcomed if they are residents of the following states: New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Connecticut. Passengers must prove their residency in one of those states using their driver’s license.
“We have included the license-plate requirement to minimize the likelihood that someone from a non-authorized state be allowed to enter,” Segura said. “We are minimizing our epidemiological risk.”
Tourists must obtain a negative PCR-RT test within 48 hours of their flight and purchase a travel-insurance plan that covers COVID-19. (This can be a pre-approved Costa Rican plan, or a foreign one that meets a series of requirements.)
In addition, all arriving passengers must complete an online health form.
The Costa Rica Tourism Board says that it expects about four flights a week from the airports of Newark (EWR), La Guardia (LGA) and John F. Kennedy (JFK). All are located in the New York City area.
Flights to Costa Rica in August and beyond
From Ticotimes article 08/05/20
According to Aeris, which operates Juan Santamaría International Airport, airlines are reporting the following dates for resuming commercial flights to Costa Rica:
- Air Canada will resume flights on Sept. 12 to Toronto.
- Air France will resume flights on Oct. 14 to Paris.
- British Airways will resume flights Oct. 27.
- Edelweiss will resume flights on Oct. 15 to Zurich.
- Iberia has already resumed flights (Madrid).
- Lufthansa has already resumed flights (Frankfurt).
- Spirit and United Airlines are offering repatriation flights to the United States throughout August.
- Volaris is offering repatriation flights to Mexico on August 25 and 29.
The 1rst of august 2020 : reopening of the air borders with the European Union. Then others destinations, like Canada or United Kingdom should follow in a few weeks.
The Health Ministery, the Costarican Institut of Tourism and the National Chamber of Tourism have developed several health protocol. In order to allow you to access safely to all the touristic activities in Costa Rica.
Since early June, La Rana de Cahuita has established the specific health rules for the hotels.
To go further (spanish or english) : All the health protocols